Friday, May 20, 2011

bed

I checked out this cute little book from the library a few weeks ago.  If you haven’t read it, go pick it up.  It only took me like a half an hour to read.  Anyway, there was one part of the book that made me cry.  I know, I know, it doesn’t take much to make me cry :)  But it really made me stop and think and reevaluate how I spend my time with my children.  She says,

“Extraordinary moments can happen in the middle of ordinary days.  I was on  a mother-daughter dinner date with Calli, who was nine at the time.  Through a mouthful of macaroni and cheese, Calli giggled as she recounted a game of freeze tag she played during recess that day.  Then it hit me…  I will spend eternity knowing Calli as an adult.  But tonight, right here, right now, and for the next few precious years, I have the rare privilege of knowing her as a child. What a gift to experience the children in our lives as children!  For a brief moment during the journey of mortality, we get to watch them laugh, learn, experience, grow.  Yes, in the middle of an ordinary day, it was an extraordinary moment.” 

You know, it wasn’t like this was some breaking news to me about knowing my girls as adults for the rest of eternity, but really hit me that I should really enjoy these few years when they are kids.  Time is flying sooo fast, and some days I think, “Good grief, I spent more time cleaning the house then I did playing with my girls.”  I’m not saying I should, from now on, keep my house in utter disarray, but I should make sure to always find time just for them during the day.  Anyway, it was a really cute book and I just wanted to share that part of it with you all :)

2 comments:

Heather said...

I shall go onto our county library website and look it up. sounds like a good book!
and we need to talk about your choice in concerts....yuck. lol.

Wendy said...

That is an intersting perspective I never thought of. I am grateful to be part of your beautiful little girl's childhoods. What an awesome experience it has been so far :)