Tuesday, November 2, 2010

10/28/10: Sierra’s Debut

I was beginning to wonder if Sierra was ever going to decide to be born. I had been feeling the best I had ever felt up until then and I was really starting to wonder if my doctor was going to have to induce me. The calendar due date for her was the 28th, but when I got my ultrasound, it said the 27th. So I told everyone the 27th because hey, I’ll take a day earlier! Well, the 27th came and went, but in the wee hours of Friday, around 4:30 in the morning, I started having contractions. Finally! They were about every 6 minutes and they weren’t very painful. I’m so glad Austin decided to stay home from work. And to think I told him he didn’t need to… Anyway, about 11:00 they started to get more painful and were coming around every 4 minutes. Austin asked if I wanted to go to the hospital, but I said heck no. I didn’t want to be sent home and they were in no way as painful as when I had Kylie. So I continued to sit around in misery while I had the contractions. We watched Finding Nemo with Kylie and the contractions started getting worse. Again Austin asked if I wanted to go to the hospital, but I said I would wait it out longer (do you see a pattern here?) 12:30 rolls around and by this time I’m crying with each contraction. I still didn’t want to go just yet, so again, we waited. 1:00 gets here and they are coming every couple of minutes and I’m like bawling my eyes out. I started to feel pressure down below and I suddenly realized that I should probably go to the hospital. I had to deliver at American Fork Hospital which is about a 15 minute car ride. In that time I had about 10 contractions. We hurried upstairs and the nurse checked me out to see how dilated I was…come to find out I was an 8! She said my water could break any minute. They hurried and called my doctor, who just happened to be in Salt Lake at the time. It was his day off...  Great timing on my part, eh? It took a while for them to get a hold of him. He said he could be there in 20 minutes. Everyone thought I wouldn’t make it by then. To top it off, the anesthesiologist was in surgery. Apparently 5 other women either were or had been scheduled C-sections before I got there. Yeah, it was a busy day at the hospital. I started to freak out. I had always kind of wanted to go natural just to prove to myself that I could do it, but as I was lying there in horrific pain, I wanted some drugs! They finally were able to get the anesthesiologist up there to see me. There was no time for an epidural, so I had to get a spinal. I.hate.spinals. I couldn’t feel a THING down there and I hated the feeling. Another doctor who works across the hallway from mine showed up and was ready to deliver the baby if needed. I kept praying my doctor would get there. Well, the odds were in my favor that day, because my doctor finally showed up. He broke my water and 10 minutes later, out came our little Sierra. I was kind of bummed that it took 10 minutes, because I knew I could have pushed harder, I just couldn’t feel a dang thing! Anyway, words cannot describe how I felt to see my little daughter. She was so beautiful and perfect. She weighed 7 pounds 13 oz and was 20 inches long. She had all her fingers and toes (which hey, that’s like the first thing you check for right?) and she was just gorgeous. I was kind of worried about not having another name picked out for her because with Kylie, I wanted to name her Sierra but when she finally got here, she definitely did not look like a Sierra. But this little girl did. I think it fits her perfectly. The rest of the evening was kind of a blur. I ordered dinner while Austin was in the nursery watching Sierra get her first bath. They have room service there now. They had all these different foods you could choose from and imagine this – it was excellent! I think I gained 5 pounds from their food. After dinner I called to get some meds because I was cramping a little blt. This nurse comes in, who I have nicknamed Helga (she was kind of a stocky woman with long gross hair) and she gives me, without telling me what I’m taking, 2 Percocet and an Annaprox. Ok, I puke if I don’t have an anti-nausea pill to go with Percocet and this dingaling gave me 2 of them. I was kind of out of it and didn’t even think about asking her what she was giving me. Oh, and then she goes to “massage” my stomach and I swear she did it as hard as she could…4 or 5 times. I almost hit her. I really, really couldn’t stand that nurse. So after a while I start to go to la-la land. Luckily I didn’t throw up. They took me down to my room and for the next 2 days, that was my home. All the nurses were wonderful and I was recovering a lot faster with this baby then with Kylie. It was so nice to just lie around and relax. A funny story about Kylie. First off, after Sierra was born, we were all saying how beautiful she was and Kylie looks at us and goes, “I’m beautiful too.” Oh boy, let it begin. That night as I was nursing Sierra, Kylie goes, “Eww, gross.” I said, “Kylie that’s how you used to eat when you were a baby.” She goes, “I didn’t like it.” Ha ha, too funny. Now every time she sees me nurse she says, “That’s kinda funny.” Kids. :)

Well, I am day 2 at home by myself with 2 kids and it hasn’t been that bad. Sierra sleeps ALL the time and Kylie is constantly vying for my attention. Sierra is a pretty good sleeper as well. All in all, I had a wonderful delivery experience and I am soo happy to have my little daughter with us!

IMG_1365IMG_1372IMG_1374    IMG_1387 IMG_1391 IMG_1395 IMG_1398 IMG_1407IMG_1420IMG_1434 

IMG_1546 IMG_1473 copy IMG_1484 copy IMG_1489 IMG_1500 IMG_1514 IMG_1523 IMG_1528 copy IMG_1532 IMG_1544 copy IMG_1545

5 comments:

Shelley Family said...

Congratulations! What a pretty baby! I am so glad things went so well!!

Lexi said...

Congrats! I'm sure that she will fit right into your beautiful family :)

Heather said...

You actually get your own doctor? With kaiser it's whichever doctor is on call. But in my case it doesn't matter.
Sierra has the cutest round head. She's so beautiful. Congrats again to you and your family!

Katy said...

oh i'm so so so happy for you!!! your family is absolutely gorgeous! i laughed at Kylie's cute little statements... especially about the nursing, hilarious!

so happy all went well and you're all at home together!

Dane and Denise said...

quite a story linley! you are crazy! oh man, i bawled my eyes out too with some of my contractions, well when the epidural was wearing off. dude, aren't you glad that our babies are here finally! yeah.