Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A camping we will go….

A few weekends ago, Austin and Kylie and I went camping up in the Uintas.  From our previous camping trip last month, I knew this was probably going to be the last time I went camping for the year.  Even though we have a great air mattress, it is REALLY hard for me to get a good night’s sleep being this far along.  So we had one last hurrah as a family :)  Our campsite was awesome.  It was on top of this hill that bordered this beautiful river.  I love listening to the river at night.  Anyway, Kylie and I helped Austin bring logs and branches over for our fire.  Austin found this tree that we propped up next to our campsite that we lovingly named our Nightmare Before Christmas tree.  It was awesome.  Austin also found some cow pies that he used periodically in the fire.  Yeah, they smoke A LOT and  burning poop is just…weird.  Anyway, that first night was FREEZING!  Austin said it was suppose to be like 33 degrees or some insane temperature like that.  I had my sleeping bag and 4 blankets on top of me and my face still froze off (come to find out the next morning we hadn’t zipped up the tent door that we were sleeping next to all the way).  On Saturday we saw Spencer Falls and Cataract Gorge.  We also did another hike later on that day, but I can’t remember what they were called.  We were pretty tired that night.  It was fun to sit around the fire and roast marshmallows and hot dogs.  Kylie LOVES camping.  She loves playing in the dirt, throwing rocks, playing by the river, hiking…she’s going to be some guys dream come true one day :)  On Sunday we took it a little easy in the morning and then headed off to Whiskey Island Lake.  So getting to the lake was kind of torturous for me.  It was pretty much up this mountain, over 3 boulder fields, stepping over fallen trees…I was a sweaty gross mess by the time we got to the lake.  I will admit that hike kicked my butt and I was very close to bludgeoning myself in the head with one of those stinking boulders.  But we did finally make it and it was an incredible lake.  It was so quite and peaceful and the lake was so clear.  We rested for a while and before I knew it, it was time to make the trip back.  We took a different route back and it was a million times easier with only one boulder field to hike across.  I was much happier and the hike was so much more enjoyable.  We went back to camp and packed everything up and drove home.  It was such a great weekend.

Burning poo

IMG_0901

Our Nightmare before Christmas tree.  You can’t really see it, but we decorated it was string, and a tent stake that we found.

IMG_0903

Spencer Falls

Spencer Falls-7

Spencer Falls-3

Cataract Gorge

Cataract Gorge-18

Cataract Gorge-22

Little lake we ate our lunch at on Saturday

IMG_0880

IMG_0942

Whiskey Island Lake

Whiskey Island Lake-3

Whiskey Island Lake-4

No comments: