Friday, November 7, 2008

A look back at my week...

I've had a really good week so far. We had FHE for like the third week in a row :) It's amazing how I look forward to Monday nights now. I love how Austin and I have become so dedicated to having it every week. We are also doing a scripture challenge. If we both read for 31 days in a row we get a reward. Don't know if that's the best way of doing it, but I tell you what, it's been 2 weeks already and it's already become a habit for me. So spiritually, I'm doing good!

Tuesday was a good/bad day. I was disappointed with the presidential elections. I kind of fear for this country and what's going to happen. Hope I don't offend anyone if you're excited Obama won. Anyway, Austin and I watched a little bit of the elections and then we played our Wii...yes, we caved and bought one. But let me tell ya, I'm so excited that we did :) It's so much fun. You know, I wish one day manufactures would become less money hungry and actually make the item you're buying worth your money. I mean, we got the Wii but it only came with one remote so we had to buy another one...for $40. Good grief, are the innards made of gold or something? Plus, why can't you get a couple of games with your console. All the good games are priced out the wazoo. Oh well.... So anyway, it's been fun to play with Austin but I need to be careful because I've already hurt my back a couple of times playing the baseball and boxing game. I get a little tooo into it.

I canned some of my tomatoes on Wednesday for the first time. Boy, that was an experience. I had about 80 ripe tomatoes that I wanted to can. After 3 hours of being in a hot kitchen, I got 2 quarts out of it. Yes, only 2. My problem was that the tomatoes were tiny and the skins were not peeling off of them after I blanched them so I only ended up with this tiny amount of tomato. So after all that, I only got 2 jars. I did the idiotic thing of twisting the cap the wrong way when I got one of jars out of the water after being boiled for 45 min. , thus making it unsealed. So then I had to cook it AGAIN. Won't it just be my luck if I did something wrong and we all get botulism.

I had my book party last night and it was sooo much fun. Thanks again for everyone who came. So far I'm up to $40 in free books! Yeah! Kylie had a blast. The lady brought all these books to show to everyone and she had this nice stand to display them on. Well, that lasted about 5 seconds because Kylie would keep pulling them off and looking at them. I'm so excited that she loves books. She was so excited to show my neighbors little girl a book that she actually stuck it in the poor kids eye. The little girl started crying and Kylie just looked at her like, "What's the matter with you!"

I'm excited for this weekend because we're going to put our Christmas lights up. I know it's a little bit early, but I think it would be better to put them up now while it's only slightly freezing out :)

So there you have it. My week in review. I did learn a few things this week that I would now like to share....

1. No matter how fast you may think you're emailing someone on Freecycle, you're never going to be the first one who emailed. I swear, there must be people who just wait for emails to come in their inbox so they can get the goods first. I've tried like 5 times this week to get something, and wouldn't you know it, someone beat me to it...

2. Miracle on 34th street (the old one) is one of the best Christmas movies ever. I was able to buy it yesterday for my collection. Figured I better get it now before Wal-mart runs out and then I will never find another copy again for weeks. I hate how they don't stock things quickly. Grrr...

3. Hot chocolate everyday does the body good. Costco has a sale right now where you can get 4 cans for $10. I bought some last week and I've almost finished off a can myself...

4. I've learned that I can't leave my things on the floor because Kylie likes to hide them. I have found things put in our hamper, in drawers, and sadly (I've not been looking forward to this day) in the toilet.

5. No matter how tight I put the blankets around Kylie at night, she still somehow manages to escape out of them. She is a little Houdini. We've been having to have the heat on to about 75 every night so Kylie won't freeze to death but them I wake up sweating like a pig. I like it when the heat isn't on and you have to sleep with like 4 covers. I think I should sew a wool blanket that Kylie can wear...Has someone already thought of that idea?

Well, this novel is done with. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

We always turn th heat way down at night and then put a space heater in the girls rooms (one of the newer safe one). it cost less to run at night than heating the whole house and then we stay cooler. Just a suggestion!
Way to go on FHE, we don't really do that yet but i know we should start!

Shelly said...

I love Miracle on 34th street. Yes, get your lights up soon before it snows again. I wish everyone would put them up cuz the more the merrier.

Shelley Family said...

You crack me up! Sorry to hear about the tomato experience! It takes so much time and effort! Let me know if you ever want to have a canning party next year. I am really into that now :) And have fun with the Christmas lights. This is the most fun time of year!!

THE FAMILY OF OAK said...

I did not get my books yet, but I should be getting them today. In fact, they could be at my house now, I am just at work:) I am SO excited to see them.

THE FAMILY OF OAK said...

I got the books yesterday- they are SO stinkin cute:)

Kalli said...

So sorry I missed the book party but our funds are low and I knew if I came I would want to spend money I couldn't spend so I chose the no show route hope you weren't offended. It sounds like you had a good turn out though $40 in free books thats sweet. As for the rest of your week you kill me I was just laughing I love that you spent so long canning and only got two cans out of it, I love the part about Kylie freezing and you sweating to death cause people at our house can relate to that, the family home evening thing is something we just started doing as well and I will let you know if it continues to be successful, and I think thats about it but you kill me I hope you have had a good week this week so far can't wait to hear about it you should post every week..