Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Nothing like being told you probably need back surgery to brighten up your day…

I went to a Neurosurgeon yesterday and was told I should probably get back surgery. Yikes you say? You’re telling me! It all started my sophomore year in high school when I was trying out for the track team. We had some intense weight lifting practices and I remember having weights on my shoulder and doing lunges when all of a sudden I had the most intense pain in my lower back. That was 12 years ago. Almost every day since then my lower back hurts. It hurts the most if I'm on my feet for long periods of time, if I lift things the wrong way, if I don't have proper support for my back, and ESPECIALLY when I'm pregnant. I had gone to a few people in the past to see what was wrong with my back and they each had a different analysis of what was wrong. Finally, after all these years, I went to get an MRI this past October. They found that I have spondylolysis. In Laymen's terms that means that my lower two vertebrae do not line up right. Also, my disc has slipped and is slightly bulging. Apparently I am a Grade 1 which means my vertebrae could be out of line by 25%. The neurosurgeon said that he thinks that at some point in my life it could move to a Grade 2, which is 50% out of line. Because of this, it is pinching off my nerve, thus causing intense pain. If I got the surgery, they would open up my lower vertebrae slightly to make more room for the nerve to get through. They would then realign it with the vertebrae below it and then they would fuse the two. When I went to my regular doctor to have him tell me the results of the MRI, he was pretty confident that I wouldn’t need surgery. He recommended that I go and see this Neurosurgeon (Dr. Gaufin) to see what he thought. So when we heard the news yesterday, it came as quite a shock. I basically have two options: 1, live with this the rest of my life, and 2, get the surgery. There is so much to think about right now and I could use all of your prayers. Right now would be the ideal time to get the surgery (I could get it in 2 weeks if I wanted to). But we’ve been trying to have a baby and I don’t know if I want to keep pushing that farther and farther away. I guess my recovering time is about a month and then after 3-4 months I can do more rigorous work outs. The doctor seemed to think that I could try and have a baby after the 3 or 4 months. I just don’t know what to do. The neurosurgeon seemed pretty confident that by having this procedure it would help my back tremendously. If any of you know me, you know that is music to my ears. Just ask Austin how many times I complain about my back. Anyway, I’m super scared and worried and I know that what my next step is to fast and pray about this. Anyway, like I said, I could really use your prayers during this next week or so as I try and figure out what I want to do. I love you guys!

7 comments:

Shelley Family said...

Wow, I am so sorry! That is a big decision to make. Best of luck, and you will defnitely be in my prayers!

The Bradys said...

Linley! I am so so sorry! I didn't realize you were dealing with that much pain. . .what a stinky decision to have to make, especially right now! You are in my prayers and good luck!

p.s. PLEASE, I would love to have Kylie come over and play sometime to give you a rest (whether a rest from back pain/recovery or pregnancy. . .we'd have fun with her!)

Heather said...

blah, i hate decisions like that. but its like you said, live with the pain or get it fixed. i'm sure whatever decision you make things will be ok. i know that doesn't seem reassuring now.....well i'm keeping you in my prayers.

Jenelle said...

holy cow- that stinks! let us know if we can do anything for you- and we'll definitely keep you guys in our prayers too.

THE FAMILY OF OAK said...

Linley, well like you said the best thing to do is to pray about it and fast. Here is my input tho. I know like 4 people that have had their backs operated on and they said if they could go back they would and not have it done because it hurts worse now then it did before. So, with that being said. Pray about it. It may be better for you because you are willing to work out and strengthen it and you are young. Both good things going for you!

Jenelle said...

Yeah- we are planning on doing the family fast- but your dad told us it was on Sunday. Just let me know and we are in for sure. Let us know if you need anything else.

Shelly said...

I am still praying for you!