Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Camping in the Uintas

As I mentioned in my last post, Austin and I went camping in the Uintas.  Kylie stayed with Grandma and Grandpa Mills and Austin and I got to spend 2 days together – something we haven’t done since Kylie was born.  We left Friday afternoon and stopped for a bite to eat at Dicks Restaurant.  I love this place.  It’s in Kamas and they have the best food ever.  Anyway, I went to use the restroom and as I was trying to leave the bathroom, the door wouldn't unlock.  Ok, don’t panic I thought.  I twisted the handle up and down…and up and down again.  Then it became a jerking, rapid succession of up and downs.  I started to get  a little panicky.  Do I continue to try and get the door open by myself, or do I pound on the door and cry for help?  Well, I thought I would try a combination of the two.  I decided to get a little more violent and ram my shoulder against the door.  If anyone heard me, then I would then let them take over.  Well, I did this for about a minute and somehow the door opened.  I walked out of the bathroom expecting everyone to be staring at me or laughing, but neither one happened.  I told Austin that I got locked in the bathroom and didn’t he hear all the pounding and jiggling of the door handle?  “Nope,” he said.  Well, if I hadn’t of gotten the door open, maybe I would still be in there as we speak…

Ok, on with the adventure.  We got to campsite that Austin wanted to camp in and he was excited that no one had claimed it yet.  It was this cute little site right by the Provo River.  We set everything up and then Austin chopped down a tree or two for our fire.  That’s my man!  Anyway,  I love fire.  I like burning things too.  Once, when I was a kid, I was burning old Halloween candy in my room (and paper and rubber bands and whatever else was flammable).  Well, I guess it kind of got out of control because the flames got quite high.  I tried spitting on it, but that didn’t do anything.  I don’t remember how I got the flames out, but it burned a hole in my rug and the upstairs was full of smoke.  Bet you didn’t know about that story huh mom!  Anyway, I’m by no means a pyro, but I do love burning things.  Hee hee :)  So anyway, I had fun with the fire and then we roasted marshmallows and chocolate for our smores.  Yes, you heard me right, I roast my chocolate bar too.  You have to be quick, or the whole thing will melt into the fire.  It’s a fine art that I have mastered :)  Anyway, I stuffed myself with smores because what the heck, that’s part of what camping is all about.  Eating smores.  It goes together like spinach and melted mozzarella (trust me peeps, its GOOD!).  I eventually fell asleep by the fire while Austin took some pictures of the stars. 

Uinta camping trip 003

Uinta camping trip 004

Uinta camping trip 007

Uinta camping trip 009

Having too much fun with his smores…

Uinta camping trip 026

The next morning we went hiking.  Austin told me that he thought it might be a long hike, but we would see a lot of lakes.  I told him  that we should go for it.  Well 10 MILES LATER we get done with our hike….  yeah, 10 miles.  I couldn’t really feel my legs after mile 8.  But it was super fun and we did see a lot of lakes.  It was such a beautiful day out too.  We had dinner when we got back to camp and pretty much did what we did the night before…eat smores and take pictures of the stars.  Later that night it started raining.  It continued to rain the next morning and if finally stopped for a while.  We decided to go on one more hike before we left to go back home.  It was such a cool hike.  It started raining on us, but it just added to the fun.  This hike was only like a mile and a half, so it wasn’t bad :)  All in all, it was a great weekend.  Thanks Austin for such a great time!

IMG_4085 IMG_4047 IMG_4060

IMG_4107

IMG_4191

IMG_4181

IMG_4227 IMG_4193 IMG_4212 IMG_4216

3 comments:

Heather said...

Lovely pictures. And your story about getting stuck in the bathroom made ma laugh!! But I probably would have done the same thing.
I'm glad you got some time to yourselves, and I can't believe this is the first time since Kylie was born! WOW!

*K* said...

loooove love love the pics...how'd you get the swirly star picture?!?

Brenna said...

well I don't think mom was to pleased with what you did in your room. Anyway I love the pictures that were taken. Sorry that Kylie called you grandma when you got back. glad you had fun.