Tuesday, March 24, 2009

It's Been an Interesting Day...And It's Not Over Yet

Updated below...

Hi guys,

So I've never posted on a blog before but I told Linley I'd update her blog once everything was through with her surgery. I can't exactly do that yet, but I did want to write something for now.

This morning we came to the hospital (as instructed) at 10:00. We got through all of the pre-op stuff pretty quickly. Then we sat, and sat, and sat...for over 5 hours! Neither of us could believe it. Anyway, it was ultimately just over a 6 hour wait before she got into surgery. It's now 6:45 p.m. So, I thought I should at least write something. She has been in surgery for almost 3 hours now. I talked to the operating room nurse for an update a little while ago and they said to expect at least another hour in surgery, then 45 min to an hour for time in the recovery room. Needless to say, I know the inside of the pre-op area and the surgery waiting room pretty well by now.

I'll update this post a little later once I know more. But before I sign off for now...let me just say THANK YOU! to all of you for your overwhelming support and outpouring of love. We really appreciate your friendship.

See you a little later.

UPDATE: I just talked to the doctor and the results were somewhat mixed for me. First, he did say that she is in really good physical shape and her bones were in great shape. I guess her spine is a little different story. She was originally classified as a grade 1 (25% vertebrae slip) but he is saying she is actually closer to a grade 2 (50%). So, because of this and because of some cysts he found in the nerve canal on the vertebrae above the ones he was originally fusing, he actually had to do a two-level fusion. I'm not exactly sure what that means in terms of extended recovery time or other implications. But for now, I'm just happy that she made it through it ok. The surgery ended up taking almost 4 hours and it was a little nerve wracking for me. But I'm glad she made it through the procedure. I'll let you know when I know more tomorrow.

2 comments:

bids2calvin said...

I am so glad she is out of surgery. We will keep her in our thoughts and prayers.

Heather said...

what the heck??!! they made you WAIT for 6 hours before going into surgery? that is dumb. i hope recovery goes swiftly, because i'm coming up there in august!!! i'm keeping you guys in my prayers